Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ARC

Posted by bobkatz 
ARC
January 14, 2024 05:31PM
Hi, Pavel. Having discovered that I can only get 5.1 channels from Netflix and other streamers on Apple TV4K, I'm on a quest to get at least 7.1 channels through the Vanity.

First I tried the Netflix app in my "smart" Blu Ray player, but that was a failure, it only outputs 2 channels :-(

Next, I tried to get ARC working from my very smart LG TV to see if it's smart enough to put out multichannel, but I can't seem to get it working.

ARC should be just as simple as enabling it in the Vanity menu and on the TV, right? I'm not getting any action and I've tried all the options I'm supposed to in the LG. Any ideas?

Also, do you have eARC available or will that ever become available?
Re: ARC
January 16, 2024 08:44PM
Hello Bob,

I have the same experience with 5.1 channels only from Netflix running on Apple TV. E.g. Netflix running on my laptop I have the same result. Most of the Netflix multichannel content is either 5.1 or Dolby Atmos which is probably internally rendered to 6channels only. However VPRO reports 8channels on the main screen since I have multichannel EDID settings in EDID Setup menu. These channel count comes from VPRO HDMI receiver so at least the HDMI source reports 8channel capability. Please don't hesitate to correct me if your findings are different.

Regarding the ARC activation, it should be as easy as you said, just to activate it in the VPRO HDMI Setup menu and in the TV itself. The other potential issue with ARC could be, that not all of HDMI inputs on TV are ARC capable, so please double check this as well. If you can share your TV model we can have a look into the TV manual and clarify the correct settings.

eARC feature is not supported in this VPRO generation as there is no HW support on HDMI side.

Regards,
Milan
Re: ARC
January 18, 2024 03:17PM
Yes, Pavel, I'm getting an 8 channel display out of Netflix. It looks like with Apple TV, only when the receiver supports Atmos (has an Atmos decoder) can we get 8 channels from the main channels. This is a limitation of Apple TV, not Netflix. If you have Apple TV set to produce Linear PCM it only puts out a maximum of 5.1, that's the limitation of the Apple decoder, which actually decodes the incoming stream and re-encodes it in linear for the Vanity. It can also re-encode as AC3 if the user wishes but then Vanity can't use it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login