Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Restart Unit into Update mode

Posted by thomaspf 
Restart Unit into Update mode
July 11, 2023 11:48PM
Hi,

I am trying to update the firmware on my VanityPro unit. The display shows USB Update idle state but the Firmware downloader is locked and displays in red font to restart the unit in update mode.

Any help on how to break this deadlock?

Cheers

Thomas
Re: Restart Unit into Update mode
July 12, 2023 12:42PM
Hi Thomas,
To put the unit into firmware update mode, you need to restart the unit with the following sequence:

- Switch the power of the audio side OFF, or unplug the power cable.
- Then press and hold the encoder knob and turn the power back on.
- Wait for a second or two before you release the knob.

There might not be any visual indication of the unit being turned on until you start the firmware update process, but you should be able to see the firmware loader app detecting the device in the upgrade mode.

Any further questions, please ask.
Best Regards,
Pavel
July 13, 2023 06:08AM
Thank you Pavel, that did the trick!

As far as I can tell so far the random drops on my ESS9018 based DAC have decreased quite a bit. I am using the device to extract audio from an Xbox and the VanityPro has made it a usable setup.

My DAC is getting a bit old in the tooth. Anyone with a 9038 or 9039Pro based DAC having success?
Cheers

Thomas
July 13, 2023 04:33PM
Hi Thomas,
Good to heat that you managed to get the unit into the firmware upgrade mode!
The "trick" with ESS chips is that sometimes the DPLL setting (time constants for the internal ASRC) are set too aggressively by manufacturers in attempt to make it "sound better". Usually, the only effect is making the DAC over-sensitive to any kind of frequency control on the side of the digital audio source. Does your DAC have any settings available, where you could adjust the DPLL values? Most decent manufacturers these days allow access to this control, because it is a widespread problem and nothing too specific to the VanityPRO. Out of curiosity, what is your DAC manufacturer and model?
Regards,
Pavel
July 13, 2023 10:30PM
I have full control over the PLL setting and have set it to the most relaxed setting. With the new firmware that seems to work quite well.

With the XBox there is this weird effect that if you play a movie on Netflix and then switch to Disney the audio clock seems to change and the Vanity Pro kicks into action. This results in 3 or 4 drops during this calibration phase. After that it now runs stable with the new firmware.

Cheers

Thomas
July 14, 2023 01:51PM
Hi Thomas,
OK, I understand. It is pretty normal that a DAC - digital receiver in a DAC - unlocks upon sampling frequency change or a brief signal interruption. That all depends on implementation of the digital audio source.

Best Regards,
Pavel
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login