Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

VanityPro - in my system?

Posted by Maabb 
VanityPro - in my system?
June 06, 2023 10:50PM
Hi everyone,
Im here to try to find out whether VanityPro can help me to basically link the processor, and all the sources connected to it, digitally to the front speakers. In my system there are only four speakers. However the two rear are analog and do require a dac and an amp, and that’s fine. So as I mentioned the front speakers are active fullrange digital and can connect via optical, coaxial or usb cable.
My processor is an old marantz with 2 hdmi out. I was wondering how can VanityPro help me to achieve this. If I have all the sources (appleTv, DirectTV, and a streamer) connected to > processor > then VanityPro> to main speakers digitally / and same time to a dac for rear speakers. My concern is the implementation of volume control, basic surround sound and room correction via audyssey pro, all controlled by a single remote control. Is that even possible?
Thank you for reading this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2023 11:07PM by Maabb.
Re: VanityPro - in my system?
June 09, 2023 09:37AM
Hi Maabb,
Thank you for your question. The proposed scenario is quite complex, and I seem to miss some details to be able to tell if it is gonna all work the way you picture it. Let me put a few comments below.
- Do the HDMI outputs from your processor still output HDMI audio? Does the Marantz work just as a HDMI switch between multiple sources (AppleTV, DIrectTV, etc.) or does it also perform some processing internally? What is the HDMI audio support in terms of sampling frequencies, etc. Most processors downsample all audio to 48kHz for processing.
- For volume control, you don't mention which device the remote belongs to. It depends if either the processor or a downstream TV connected through the VanityPRO is able to send CEC commands for Stand-by and volume.
- How is the room correction done in audyssey pro? I assume it is meant to run in the Marantz. In that case you need to make sure that the processed audio can be passed through via HDMI output and not just internally into the analogue pre output or amps in case of a big AVR.
- In theory it can all work the way you wish, but there are too many variables and unknowns. You could verify the basic functionality with a cheap HDMI stereo audio extractor ($15 on Amazon) to see if the signal chain works, but that won't tell you if the CEC (volume) will work too. Or you can get the VanityPRO straight away as a demo and see if it all works.
Any further questions, don't hesitate to ask here.

Regards,
Pavel
June 09, 2023 07:37PM
Hi AP,
Truthfully, I don’t know the technical details of the processors’ implementation of the HDMI output. And, I didn’t know either that Audyssey actually downsamples to 48khz. I had no idea. I do bypass the front speakers because I usually don’t particularly like what Audyssey does to the overall sound anyway, but I find it useful to setup and synchronize the system the way it does. The remote control I use is a Harmony Elite by Logitech. If there is a chance that VanityPro would work in my system I would give it a try, if they allowed me an easy return in case it didn’t.

In digital mode the speakers are much much louder than in analog and switching from analog to digital become “risky” if the user forgets to lower to volume first.
It’s a hassle in todays age, I think, but I’ll survive..

Thank you for your kind reply.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2023 07:39PM by Maabb.
June 15, 2023 11:53AM
Hi Maabb,
As I said above, there are too many variable to be able to advise. Which device is controlled by the Logitech remote? I assume it is the Marantz. Then I would look into the manual if it supports CEC control and which direction. Same for the display/TV (if you actually have one). Please get in touch with JVB (https://www.oppostore.nl/en/vanitypro.html) to discuss the demo, but I strongly believe they have a fair returns policy.
Best Regards,
Pavel
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login