Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HDCD decoding

Posted by qrarolu 
HDCD decoding
April 21, 2012 10:30AM
I have noticed that the Oppo BDP-93 player supports HDCD decoding. How is this handled through the Vanity93 board? Is the HDCD signal decoded in the player or on the board and output as 24bit HDCD decoded data or will the output be without HDCD decoded data? If the output is HDCD decoded 24bit this would mean you can enjoy HDCD encoded sound with a non HDCD compatible 24bit DAC.

Robert L
Re: HDCD decoding
April 21, 2012 12:12PM
Hello Robert,
Thank you for your question. The HDCD decoding (must be enabled in the player's menu, section Audio Format Setup) is handled by the Oppo and the Vanity93 just outputs decoded data that were originally sent to the player's DAC. With the Vanity93 module you can enjoy all digital formats that the Oppo is capable of. The Vanity93 board doesn't need to do any PCM (all media and formats except SACD) processing, it's processing power is aimed on a multichannel DSD->PCM conversion and re-clocking the output signal with the local low-jitter clocks.

Best Regards,
Pavel
June 23, 2012 06:23AM
Hello Pavel,

I am very interested also in this upgrade, but I am still not clear when you mention that PCM is passed through.
I am mostly interested in 2ch file playback. Does the board buffer and reclock the incoming PCM signals too from the primary Oppo digital board?

Thank you in advance and congratulations on this great design.
June 25, 2012 07:09AM
Hello,
PCM pass-through means that PCM data are not altered in any way, e.g. sample rate conversion. Buffering and reclocking is related rather to the timing of data and it works independently on data origin. In other words, the reclocking system is functional all the time with all media - converted DSD as well as PCM. Should you have more question, don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Pavel
July 06, 2012 05:34PM
Thanks for the reply.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login