Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to use Dirac Live for 7.1 with the VanityPro with Roon.

Posted by Karl W. 
How to use Dirac Live for 7.1 with the VanityPro with Roon.
January 10, 2023 03:22PM
Doing multi-channel with a PC is a bit tricky because if you have just the Vanity Pro and a typical PC set-up with monitor, Windows may only allow a 2.0 configuration.The problem is that Windows is reading the EDID of your monitor and detecting it as only stereo which prevents configuring Windows and Dirac for 7.1. To change this, you will need the Hdfury Dr. HDMI, either version to edit the transmit, TX EDID of your HDMI sink device, your monitor. I chose the 8k version for some future proofing and being able to view the control panel for the device on any web browser.

1. Use the Dr. HDMI to copy and modify the TX sink EDID. It needs to be set at 7.1. The Dr. HDMI will show you what the device, likely your monitor, is actually showing, likely 2.0. I believe when you copy the default sound is 7.1. Transmit the edit and that is what Window will not see a 7.1 device. Restart Windows for good measure.

2. Go to Windows (10)-settings-sound-control panel-configure and configure your device in Windows to 7.1.

3. With the Dirac Processor open, go to Windows-settings-sound control panel-configure and you should now also be able to set the Dirac Processor to 7.1.

4.Open the Dirac processor and select Windows. Now you will be able to check each of the channels you want to calibrate. I selected all 8 channels. I was unable to select channels over 2.0 in Windows exclusive mode if I started there.

5. Now select Windows exclusive mode. This will allow you to select higher sample rates. I believe the default is 44kHz.

I am using Dirac with Roon. When you use Roon, there is not automatic sample rate selection. Each time you playback a file, it will have to match the sample rate you have selected in Dirac. Use system output, in exclusive mode as your device in Roon. Make sure to change the sample rate in Dirac when you change to a file with a different sample rate. Otherwise, the device will not work in Roon. You will have to configure the system output in Roon to 7.1. I chose channel mapping only. Resync is set at 50ms.

Edit, meters are working. Just at low level. May have to adjust in Dirac or Roon output. Very satisfied with ability to use Dirac live with the best sounding 7.1 interface I have used by far.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2023 05:21PM by Karl W..
Re: How to use Dirac Live for 7.1 with the VanityPro with Roon.
January 11, 2023 10:05AM
Hi Karl,
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience here! I am sure many users will find this useful.

I would only add that the way the VanityPRO works with regards to EDID handling between the TX and RX ports is that it should always report the "correct" multichannel audio capabilities to the source. If there is a sink (PC monitor) connected to the TX port, only the video part of the EDID from the sink is copied to the EDID on the RX side and reported back to the source. This way you should get the audio capabilities of the VanityPRO with the video capabilities of your PC monitor. There might be some special scenarios, usually involving HDMI splitters or multiplexers that might require a bit more comprehensive EDID management requiring additional equipment. We are currently testing some basic EDID management in the VanityPRO beyond automatic video EDID copy from TX back to RX port, so fingers crossed we will be able to add more useful functionality into the product.
Thanks again!

Best Regards,
Pavel
January 12, 2023 01:22PM
Thanks for responding. Without the device, and editing the EDID, I am unable to get Dirac, and Roon to work with the VanityPro. Another company suggested that it was the EDID of your device that was the likely culprit. However, I was able to make everything work properly with Roon and Jriver with the Vanitypro without the need to use the Hdfury device.

I tried for several hours to make everything work properly again yesterday with no success without the HDfury in the chain. I'd love to be able to return or remove the Hdfury device. If I can help in any way, please let me know.

The Vanitypro is really a fantastic product. The Lynx AES16e or miniDSP U-DIO8 do not approach its sound quality!
January 12, 2023 09:25PM
Hi Karl,
Thank you for your words!
In fact, you can help if you are able to download the EDID from the HDfury with which the VanityPRO works in your setup for us to analyse it and include those options in the EDID editor planned for the next firmware release.
Best Regards,
Pavel
January 17, 2023 06:43PM
Hi Karl,
Please see here: https://www.audiopraise.com/forum/read.php?17,2668
Regards,
Pavel

Karl W. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I tried for several hours to make everything work
> properly again yesterday with no success without
> the HDfury in the chain. I'd love to be able to
> return or remove the Hdfury device. If I can help
> in any way, please let me know.
January 23, 2023 11:51PM
WOW! That's great!
March 20, 2023 11:19PM
I downloaded new firmware. Now the VantityPro works perfectly with both Roon and Dirac Live without the need for an external HDMI EDID editor. Great job. I sold the Hdfury device.
March 21, 2023 12:54PM
Hi Karl,
Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that the EDID editor works well for you.
Regards,
Pavel
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login