Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Features Ideas

Posted by AP 
New Features Ideas
November 24, 2021 04:14PM
Hi folks,
Let's start another discussion here, this time about new features. The VanityPRO has two important characteristics. The first one is FPGA based audio processing and the other is complete software upgradeability. Therefore, we can implement and deliver new audio processing (or control) functionality via easy-to-apply software updates. Here I would encourage everyone to discuss what they would like to add to the feature list of the VanityPRO in the future.

The computational power of the FPGA is not unlimited and neither are our resources smiling smiley so, please don't wish for Atmos, DTS-HD decoders or similar. What can be theoretically implemented are various downmix scenarios (there is already 4.0 downmix for DSD), possibly individual channel delays and gain controls and maybe some basic per-channel filtering. The aim is not to turn the VanityPRO into a multichannel room processor, but to add a few little things that would make it more useful.

Please feel free to share your ideas here.
Thank you!

Best Regards,
Pavel
Re: New Features Ideas
November 25, 2021 04:39PM
Hi Pavel
I'm one (I suppose...) of the first owner and I have been experimenting for a short time the various features of the Vpro. One of the coolest is the way it interfaces with the input signal automatically.

I really think the vpro can play a central role in connecting all sort of hdmi devices to any compatible digital processor, from stand alone dac obviously to dsp monitors or even blutooth audio transmitters via spdif...

So one basic feature I could suggest is the volume control for all outputs with memory of the last level. It should be an on/off feature and operated in real time by the knob for all output, all in the digital domain of course

The second useful feature in my dream is the ability to fix a specific output sample rate, so the Vpro could become in effect a quality sample rate converter. Many digital devices are not so smart in digital synching or it could be nice to experiment upsampling...

I honestly don't know if my requests are too pretentious, but I think they could give a good value to Vpro

Thanks Pavel!
November 29, 2021 02:12PM
Hi Guolive,
Thank you for the feedback!
The digital volume control is already there, hiding in the audio menu smiling smiley It is not something we though one would use as a normal volume control, i.e. using the VanityPRO as a "digital preamp". But it is still there to adjust the global output level, should you need to.
Limiting the PCM sampling rate to 96kHz (2x) or upsampling everything to 192kHz (4x) is theoretically possible. We had similar functionality in the Avarice upsampler. The sampling rate would still change between the base frequencies (multiples of 44.1 and 48 kHz) though. Fractional sample rate change (44.1<->48kHz) would need a little bit more resources to do it correctly.
Thanks again!

Regards,
Pavel
April 20, 2022 07:12AM
Hi Pavel,
It would be great to have, if possible

[*] additional downmix scenarios (for both PCM and DSD) like 2.0 , 2.1, 4.0, 4.1etc with some control over how the LFE is treated (e.g drop completely, add to left and right channels in a way that handles the -10 dB LFE gain correctly etc)
    [*] individual channel delays and gain adjustments
    [*] support for basic bass management would be great
    [*] support for channel routing matrix

Thanks,
Esosa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2022 07:13AM by Ozymandias.
May 02, 2022 07:20PM
Hi There,

I’m new here but is it also possible to place in the future a vanity board in a external Parasound Dolby / Digital / DTS decoder with build in Dac’s?
I have a very rare model the Parasound PDD1550 at home with allot space in the decoder with 20bit Zoran Dolby Digital and Separate 20bit DTS Decoder.
This decoder has Burr Brown DA converters.
I want to modify this decoder with 5.1 Digital outputs to connect 3 stereo high-end dac’s to level up the audio signal but the decoder has not yet a digital output.
Can somebody help me what the possibilities are?
I have also a detailed schedule from this decoder at home, and I share it ass file.

Best regards:
Martin Senders
Attachments:
open | download - PDD1550 Dolby en DTS decoder schema.pdf (148.8 KB)
open | download - pdd1550 decoder manual.pdf (58 KB)
May 04, 2022 06:46PM
How about adding more HDMI inputs?
I have several HDMI sources - disk player, steamer, etc. that could all benefit from the VanityPro.
May 05, 2022 10:10PM
Hi Esosa,
Thank you for your suggestions. Some basic multichannel processing should be possible to do. Some additional downmix scenarios would be just natural extension of what is already there for DSD4.0. For the rest, some development effort would be needed. Also we would like to see if it would make sense to implement such basic multichannel processing and speaker management in comparison to miniDSP/Dirac which users seem to use quite often.
Best Regards,
Pavel

Ozymandias Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Pavel,
> It would be great to have, if possible
>
>
    > [*] additional downmix scenarios (for both PCM and
    > DSD) like 2.0 , 2.1, 4.0, 4.1etc with some control
    > over how the LFE is treated (e.g drop completely,
    > add to left and right channels in a way that
    > handles the -10 dB LFE gain correctly etc)
    > [*] individual channel delays and gain
    > adjustments
    > [*] support for basic bass management would be
    > great
    > [*] support for channel routing matrix
    >
>
> Thanks,
> Esosa
May 05, 2022 10:19PM
Hi Martin,
Thank you for your question. To be honest, although it is something technically viable, I would not expect a huge market for such solution/module. It is also something that is the opposite direction of what we intended with the VanityPRO. The previous generations of the Vanity modules were designed to work with OPPO players, which wasn't an universal solution and we all know what happened to OPPO. With the VanityPRO and HDMI signal path we wanted to offer more flexibility with regards to audio signal sources. What you are suggesting would make a great diy project, but most likely not a commercially viable one.
Best Regards,
Pavel

MartinS Wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> I’m new here but is it also possible to place in
> the future a vanity board in a external Parasound
> Dolby / Digital / DTS decoder with build in Dac’s?
> I have a very rare model the Parasound PDD1550 at
> home with allot space in the decoder with 20bit
> Zoran Dolby Digital and Separate 20bit DTS
> Decoder.
> This decoder has Burr Brown DA converters.
> I want to modify this decoder with 5.1 Digital
> outputs to connect 3 stereo high-end dac’s to
> level up the audio signal but the decoder has not
> yet a digital output.
> Can somebody help me what the possibilities are?
> I have also a detailed schedule from this decoder
> at home, and I share it ass file.
>
> Best regards:
> Martin Senders
May 05, 2022 10:21PM
Hi MultiChMaven,
Well, for the next generation of the product, why not smiling smiley . For now you can simply add a decent HDMI switch and it would do the job just fine.
Regards,
Pavel

MultiChMaven Wrote:
> How about adding more HDMI inputs?
> I have several HDMI sources - disk player,
> steamer, etc. that could all benefit from the
> VanityPro.
July 20, 2022 06:42PM
Hello,

Prospective buyer here, very interested in this unique product. Been looking for something like this for a long time actually, so Kudos!!

In terms of features that use "what already exists" would the ability to upsample/downsample be possible? I don't know enough about FPGA's to really understand what can be done, but sample rate conversion might be useful for people using upstream components that require a certain sample rate. For instance the OKTO dac8 Pro, I think there are going to be a lot of people who use these two products together and that dac is known to be picky about input sample rate in certain scenarios. Giving the Vanity the ability to "tune" itself in this way might be beneficial??

Just a thought!
August 03, 2022 03:47AM
AP Wrote:
> Hi Guolive,
> Thank you for the feedback!
> The digital volume control is already there,
> hiding in the audio menu smiling smiley It is not something we
> though one would use as a normal volume control,
> i.e. using the VanityPRO as a "digital preamp".
> But it is still there to adjust the global output
> level, should you need to.
> Limiting the PCM sampling rate to 96kHz (2x) or
> upsampling everything to 192kHz (4x) is
> theoretically possible. We had similar
> functionality in the Avarice upsampler. The
> sampling rate would still change between the base
> frequencies (multiples of 44.1 and 48 kHz) though.
> Fractional sample rate change (44.1<->48kHz) would
> need a little bit more resources to do it
> correctly.
> Thanks again!
>
> Regards,
> Pavel

Looks like Pavel already responded stating sample rate conversion could be possible. Any updates to share on this front Pavel?
August 05, 2022 12:55PM
Hi feurkils.
Well, it is important to say what the sample rate conversion would be used for. There are different reasons for using sample rate conversion.
- What can be potentially implemented in the VanityPRO is a synchronous conversion for increasing or decreasing the sample rate within the sample rate base For example 192k->96k (both based on 48k), 176.4k->88.2k (both based on 44.1k), but not 192k->88.2k. This can be useful for application where the DAC is only limited to 96kHz max sampling frequency, but can happily take anything below.
- What would not be that easy is ASRC (asynchronous resampling) to "fix" the output sampling rate regardless of the input one. This would be useful for users feeding the audio into a computer via USB, because USB audio lacks the functionality of determining the sampling rate by the USB device - only host can do that.

We are still considering the options, because the ASRC can be performed by other device on a dedicated output board. Although technically possible, I am afraid that it is just matter of commercial viability.
Best Regards,
Pavel
August 07, 2022 07:10PM
AP Wrote:
> Hi Guolive,
> Thank you for the feedback!
> The digital volume control is already there,
> hiding in the audio menu smiling smiley It is not something we
> though one would use as a normal volume control,
> i.e. using the VanityPRO as a "digital preamp".
> But it is still there to adjust the global output
> level, should you need to.
> Limiting the PCM sampling rate to 96kHz (2x) or
> upsampling everything to 192kHz (4x) is
> theoretically possible. We had similar
> functionality in the Avarice upsampler. The
> sampling rate would still change between the base
> frequencies (multiples of 44.1 and 48 kHz) though.
> Fractional sample rate change (44.1<->48kHz) would
> need a little bit more resources to do it
> correctly.
> Thanks again!
>
> Regards,
> Pavel

Looks like Pavel already responded stating sample rate conversion could be possible. Any updates to share on this front Pavel?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login