Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vanity203HD

Posted by AP 
Vanity203HD
May 14, 2017 09:55PM
Hi all,
Just to shortly recap this thread, we have the proto boards back from production and now we are working on the FPGA and MCU software. Once the software has been finalized it will take 5-6 weeks to full availability, again via JVB. They already have a pre-registration form. Use this form to make sure you get a board from the first batch.
Any questions, please ask here.
Regards,
Pavel

Re: Vanity203HD
May 19, 2017 07:52AM
What features got implemented?
Volume control? How is that done? (Bit-depth, quality the same level as ESS SABRE digital volume control?)
Some filters changeable from Oppo menu?
June 12, 2017 10:58AM
Will there be an AES/EBU output version?
July 12, 2017 11:00PM
Yes, the concept of AES output will be the same as for the previous versions, but the output circuit modification will be much easier.
From the extra features we will most likely implement the volume control (dithered with full 24 bit accuracy) and filter selection from the player's menu and a multi channel I2S output on an on-board header.
Regards,
Pavel
July 25, 2017 09:50AM
Hi guys,
I guess I owe you some update. We are about to sign off the VanityHD203 board - hardware as well as software. There are a few new features:
- On-board I2S header. 8 channel I2S with the same data coming from the main (SPDIF) outputs. There is a dedicated masterclock signal as well. Physically it is a 14 pin IDC header (see the photo above). The I2S output can be enabled/disabled via DIP switches.
- Full range volume control with 32 bit resolution (0.001dB accuracy at -120dB and TPDF dithering). The operational range is determined by the OPPO and its volume setting for 0-100% range. At 100% volume the data path is bit-accurate. The feature can be enabled/disabled via DIP switches.
- DSD to PCM conversion filter characteristics selectable from the player's menu. You don't have to keep the top lid off for experimenting with the filters any more.

Now, since we have one spare proto-board, it can be sent to some one for in-field testing. It should be someone with a decent multi channel setup (DACs, amps and speakers), ability to test/evaluate the I2S output and some spare time so we can have some feedback say within a week. Are there any volunteers?

Thank you.

Regards,
Pavel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2017 09:53AM by AP.
July 27, 2017 01:30PM
Thank you everyone for your help and offers for testing the Vanity 203HD board. We already have picked someone to carry out the in-field testing.

Regards,
Pavel
July 27, 2017 10:52PM
Nice! I will buy this card for sure.
Since I have been the one asking for all these features that in the end got implemented, I have been contributing, so I should be eligible for a big discount, right?! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2017 10:53PM by rajapruk.
September 05, 2017 11:14PM
Hi all,
Everyone who contributed with feature suggestions, here is a small thank you:
Vanity203HD Introductory Discount.
The offer might get extended, but don't hesitate.

Regards,
Pavel
September 07, 2017 09:23PM
Pavel,

Congratulations on the release and thanks for the intro discount. If I want to use I2S and go from the Oppo 203 to a PS Audio Directstream, what type of cable is needed, and would you please list any/some examples that you might recommend? In your opinion, in this application do you hear sonic differences from different cables?

Thanks,

Dave
September 08, 2017 11:59AM
Hi Dave,
We have one of the prototype boards with a guy from this forum and he will trial the I2S link between the Vanity203 and his DACs for us and everyone else. In theory the I2S should give a better sound for dozen of reasons, let's see how the trial goes.
If you look into the User manual (another thread), you will see that the I2S output is provided on an on-board connector with 3V3 CMOS signaling. You will most probably need to use off the shelf modules to convert that to HDMI or Ethernet type links that your DAC can accept. Hopefully we will be able to provide some app note regarding to the I2S link what is needed and how to put it together to make it work.

Regards,
Pavel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 12:01PM by AP.
September 22, 2017 03:40AM
Any plans for a TOSLINK version?
September 23, 2017 09:51PM
Hi antilles,
Sorry, no plans for a TOSLINK version. A few reasons: Optical transmitters wouldn't mechanically fit, there are not many DACs capable of 192kHz over optical link, a standard TOSLINK significantly affects system jitter which the Vanity is trying to suppress/eliminate. If you wish to feed you DAC optically I guess you can use some off the shelf coax to optical adapter. Hope it helps.
Regards,
Pavel
October 09, 2017 08:03AM
Hi Pavel. Does the down mix to FR and FL still work with this modification?

I do not have a 5.1 speaker system but have a very good stereo setup and would like to watch movies via a good stereo digital output with the multichannel content mixed down.

Thanks
October 10, 2017 09:57PM
Hi Arthur,
As for the downmix functionality, it is the same as for the Vanity103HD - 4.0 downmix for DSD playback. It does not work with PCM material, but for PCM you can use player's own downmix capabilities. Please have a look into the manual (another thread) for details.
Hope it helps.
Regards,
Pavel
October 12, 2017 03:12AM
Hi Pavel,

Any update on the I2S link?

Thanks,

Dave
October 19, 2017 04:45PM
Hi Dave,
Please have a look at this thread. Hope it helps.
Regards,
Pavel
November 03, 2017 10:37AM
Hi guys,
is the vanity203hd module compatible with my oppo bdt-101ci?
Thanks denis
November 12, 2017 09:31PM
Hi Denis,
Unfortunately it is not. The BDT-101 is mechanically and electrically completely different and it would require to design a dedicated module for this model. Sorry for bad news.
Regards,
Pavel
June 05, 2018 09:09PM
Hi

I would like to know what is the best digital output version.

Does the AES version is full compliant with AES/EBU standard ? I mean using 2xcinch instead of 110ohm xlr plug make same quality than 1x cinch 75 ohm spdif ?

Do you know manufacturers who are making high grade 2xcinch to aes xlr cables ?

Regards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2018 09:11PM by beessy.
June 08, 2018 01:23PM
Hi Beessy,

Pavel like's to apologize for the late reply, i spoke to him and like to post his reply.

In reality it really doesn't matter, because the way the digital output is designed works for both methods similarly well. Neither SPDIF nor AES is "fully" compliant, because the subchannel info is not transmitted, but from the hardware perspective (signal levels, impedance, etc.) they are both well within specs. The concern about impedance is valid, but not much relevant, because RCA is not 75R and XLR is not 110R :-). Let me put it this way. If the DAC (receiver) has both SPDIF on RCA and AES on XLR then I would suggest to go for a quality SPDIF cable (75R, RCA or BNC). The hassle with AES - making a custom adapter cable - won't give you any significant benefit. The AES modification is intended for downstream devices without SPDIF interface, such as Trinnov or Datasat processors which can only take AES via DB connectors. The AES adapter (2x cinch to XLR) needs to be custom made, it is not available off the shelf.

Hope it helps.
Regards,
Pavel
June 13, 2018 09:45PM
Hi

Thanks for your help.

I have two more questions :
What is level output (V) on AES version?
Is it AES3id compliant ? (coaxial version of AES-EBU which allow long lengh transmission too)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2018 09:59PM by beessy.
August 12, 2018 12:49AM
Hi beessy,
If I remember correctly the output level with the AES version is circa 2.5Vpp unterminated and 1.2V terminated. AES/EBU voltage levels should be >1Vpp.

With the VanityHD board the only difference between SPDIF and AES really is just the voltage level when terminated with different loads. Hence AES3id and SPDIF with the VanityHD is virtually identical.

Regards,
Pavel
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login