Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vanity93 or Vanity93 Lite on a modded Oppo player ?

Posted by adhara 
Vanity93 or Vanity93 Lite on a modded Oppo player ?
September 30, 2012 10:09PM
Hi,

I've got a modded Oppo with a NewClassD clock + its own PSU. [www.newclassd.com]
I don't need DSD to LPCM features because I don't have any SACD at all....

Since I already have an upgraded clock upstream, I suppose there may be no benefit with the Vanity93 model ?
Can you please confirm the Vanity93 Lite will use the NewClassD clock inside the player ?

Regards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2012 10:10PM by adhara.
Re: Vanity93 or Vanity93 Lite on a modded Oppo player ?
October 01, 2012 07:35PM
Hi,

Any feedback from audiopraise ?
I need an answer before to place an order.

Regards
October 01, 2012 10:06PM
Hello adhara,
The Lite runs on a clock provided by the player. If you have the player's master clock upgrade, the module runs on a clock derived from this upgraded oscillator. It is difficult to say how much difference would the Vanity93 bring with its reclocking system, but if you don't have any SACDs the Lite should be fine for your needs.

Best regards,
Pavel
October 02, 2012 06:53AM
Big thanks !! I'll give you my feed back as soon as I tested it !!
October 02, 2012 09:14AM
Just one more thing.
Is there something to know about how to configure the Oppo (menu set up) to use spdif outputs ?

I assume I've to select (L)PCM instead of bitsream format ?

On an other post, you said

AP
A wide range digital volume compromises resolution and dynamics and the output level should be set to "fixed" to get full resolution signal. Volume of individual channels can be trimmed in the speaker setup.

What does that mean ? Is it a parameter on the Oppo setup menu ?

The vanity Lite has 8 outptus. I assume only 4 are working (1 spdif outptut is able to deal with 2x192Khz audio signal).
Which one are working (the 4 above or the 4 below) ? Is there any matrix saying "this output is for this audio chanel (C, FR, FL, SR, ..).

PS :

I will use a Trinnov MC/DAC for volume control, speaker settings, room correction, ... Just need to send a full resolution signal from the Oppo to the Trinnov unit.

UPDATE:

Someone just told be the Oppo has 3 clocks : 20MHz, 25MHz and 27MHz.
It seems modders (audiocom, asitek, ..) only replace the 25 Mhz clock (it s the master clock).
spdif (optical & coax) would be managed by the 20 Mhz clock.

Can you confirm ?

I placed an order for the Lite version :-(

Thanks again.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2012 09:32PM by adhara.
October 02, 2012 09:24PM
Hello adhara,
adhara
Is there something to know about how to configure the Oppo (menu set up) to use spdif outputs ?
I assume I've to select (L)PCM instead of bitsream format ?
The SPDIF outputs of the Vanity93/Lite always provide LPCM data format independent of the LPCM/bitstream setting, which affects only the original digital outputs. The only mandatory setting for the Lite module is DSD output set to PCM.

Digital volume is a feature of the player to control the volume in digital domain. This function is performed by the internal DAC and since the DAC is gone (replaced by the Vanity93/Lite), the feature is not available.

Channel assignment is described in the Vanity93 settings guide

Pavel

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2012 10:11PM by AP.
October 02, 2012 09:35PM
Hi Pavel,

Thanks a lot.
What about the end of my message :

adhara
UPDATE:

Someone just told be the Oppo has 3 clocks : 20MHz, 25MHz and 27MHz.
It seems modders (audiocom, asitek, ..) only replace the 25 Mhz clock (it s the master clock).
spdif (optical & coax) would be managed by the 20 Mhz clock.

Can you confirm ?

I placed an order for the Lite version :-(

I want to be sure I have not make an error in buying lite version instead of the Vanity93.
Can you please clarify things ?
October 02, 2012 10:12PM
Hello adhara,
Honestly, I'm not sure which clock is used as a reference for audio clocks in BDP-93. For DVD players it used to be 27MHz video clock, since video and audio need to be synchronized and therefore referenced from a single clock source. After a quick survey it seems that the audio reference clock in BDP-93 is the 25MHz one, but I cannot confirm. Hope that clock modders know what they do.
November 26, 2012 10:13PM
The information on DIY audio.com about the clocks in the 93/95 is incorrect. The main clock is the 27meg clock that is located underneath the board. The one that most are changing is a 25 meg clock that controls the laser functions. However, both clocks affect the sound. I have been changing the 25 meg to good effect but I am sure changing the main clock would make even more difference. This information about the clock functions comes directly from Jason at Oppo Digital. On the new 103/105 there is only the 27 meg clock (no separate clock for laser functions) and it is located on the top of the board (hidden from view by the heatsink on the Mediatek chip).
November 27, 2012 01:06AM
Dear Ric,
Thank you for clarifying the thing with clocks.
Best Regards,
Pavel
November 28, 2012 12:54AM
Ric Schultz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>However, both
> clocks affect the sound. I have been changing the
> 25 meg to good effect but I am sure changing the
> main clock would make even more difference. This
> information about the clock functions comes
> directly from Jason at Oppo Digital. On the new
> 103/105 there is only the 27 meg clock (no
> separate clock for laser functions) and it is
> located on the top of the board (hidden from view
> by the heatsink on the Mediatek chip).

Is having one clock on the Oppo 103/105 an advantage or disadvantage compared to the previous models?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login