Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PCM data reclocking

Posted by digilog5 
PCM data reclocking
May 20, 2015 04:59PM
Hello,

I am very interested in the VanityHD board but a litte uncertain about the explanation in the VanityHD setup pdf. regarding processing during PCM playback. Per the pdf, "The Vanity HD module does not alter the audio data during PCM playback (CD, DVD, BD media). Data is sent to the output directly."
Does this mean that PCM signals (say 2.0) coming off from the main processor board onto the Vanity board, do not get buffered and reclocked or do they? (hence recloking and jitter reduction take place).

Also is there any noticable lip sync related delay between the audio out from the Vanity and the video out from HDMI due to reclocking?

Many thanks
Re: PCM data reclocking
May 20, 2015 11:18PM
Hi,
The buffering/reclocking takes place all the time for all data formats. By not altering the PCM data we mean that there is no numerical processing applied and input to output PCM data path is bit-transparent.

We use very short buffer in order not to introduce any noticeable delay to the audio data path and minimize its variability.
Hope it helps.

Best regards,
Pavel
May 21, 2015 06:10PM
Great! Thanks.
November 30, 2015 08:13PM
Rather than creating a new thread, I thought I would piggyback on this one.

Is there any problem using the Vanity103 HD board in conjunction with an external stereo DAC that also contains advanced circuitry devoted to clock management and VCXO clock regeneration? What are the advantages and disadvantages of having two devices devoted to the endeavor?

Specifically wondering about the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil: Schiit Yggdrasil product page.

Specs (in relevant part):

Clock Management: Bitperfect clock management at all native sample rates via Adapticlock analysis and VCXO/VCO regeneration, plus asynchronous USB Gen 3 module
December 01, 2015 08:59AM
Hi,
In practice there should not be any problem using the Vanity10HD with any DAC that performs some sort of clever clock recovery. Quite the opposite. You get more jitter isolation and the DAC's clocking circuit should have better working conditions. PS Audio DS or our own DAC platform CZAP are just two examples of converters with sophisticated clock recovery and they both work very well with the Vanity103HD.

There is a slim chance that the clock recovery system might get confused during the locking period of the Vanity103HD board, but I am mentioning it rather as a theoretical possibility as I have no knowledge of Schiit's clock recovery system. If the system is as sophisticated as they claim I would have no worries about that.

Regards,
Pavel
December 18, 2015 09:29PM
Just wanted to update and confirm no issues using the Vanity103 HD with the Yggdrasil while utilizing the player's built-in stereo downmix functionality.
December 21, 2015 09:27AM
Thanks for the update! I am glad to hear that the combo works fine (as expected smiling smiley )
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login